Become Aware of the DANGEROUS Hot Water Challenge on YouTube
The game of double dare has changed a lot since I was a kid. Dare you, double dare you, triple dog dare you, and so on, all used to seem so innocent. Now with many kids accessing YouTube and other social media video platforms on a daily basis, the dare game has become dangerous. The latest “dare” game plaguing YouTube and the skin, is the ‘Hot Water Challenge’.
A 15-year-old Indianapolis, Indiana resident Kyland Clark spent one week of his summer vacation in the hospital due to severe burns from the challenge. The young man told FOX 59 News, “My skin just fell off my chest, and then I went and looked and the mirror and I had skin falling off right here and on my face.”
The teen and a friend had been looking up the “Hot Water Challenge” on YouTube. While he was sleeping, the friend decided to play the prank on him. It quickly turned to no laughing matter when Clark ended up hospitalized with second-degree burns on his face, back, and chest.
This dangerous trend originated a few years back, however has become viral in the last few months due to sharing. The videos on YouTube show people acting out this hot water dare. This is different from the Ice Bucket Challenge that grew in popularity to raise awareness for ALS. Ice does not burn the skin. This challenge involves boiling hot water, and you can imagine what that means.
An 8-year-old from Florida passed away due to drinking hot water as solicited in a YouTube video, and many others have suffered burns as a result of water being dumped or poured on them while they were sleeping. This sounds like a horror film, however it is real and something people need to be aware of, especially parents.
According to the Burn Foundation, hot liquids burn the skin, similar to the way fire would. “When tap water reaches 140º F, it can cause a third degree (full thickness) burn in just five seconds,” the Burn Foundation notes.
The Hot Water Challenge has been receiving dangerous curiosity from kids and teens.
Burns are serious business, be aware.
Read the Time Magazine article, ‘Indiana Teen Severely Burned After Taking Part in Viral ‘Hot Water Challenge’