Supplement your water intake with these foods for better hydration
H2O intake is vital to the human body. The average human body is made up of 50-65% water, making it important to stay hydrated. A common rule which has been passed down for generations it to be sure and drinking eight- 8oz servings of water daily or 64 ounces. Water helps with digestion, circulation, and regulation of body temperature. It is also key to skin health and helping to provide that beautiful glow. Beyond drinking water, how can the body absorb this vital nutrient? Try supplementing the following foods into your diet.
- Radishes – Support healthy skin and collagen production with rich in Vitamin C radishes.
How to eat: Add to salads or eat alone.
Water content: 95.3%
- Watermelon – A favorite summertime or anytime snack or side dish, watermelon not only helps hydrate the body, but it is also a source of lycopene, a cancer-fighting antioxidant.
How to eat: Enjoy by itself or mix with spinach, feta, and a little olive oil for a beautiful summer salad.
Water Content: 92%
- Spinach – This rich in potassium and antioxidant-filled leafy green is full of water and offers brain-boosting folate and 15% of your daily Vitamin E intake.
How to eat: Add to smoothies, make a salad, or add to a burger or sandwich.
Water Content: 91.4%
- Grapefruit – Studies have proven grapefruit can help lower cholesterol and shrink your waistline.
How to eat: Great addition to your morning breakfast routine.
Water Content: 90.5%
- Strawberries– Having the highest water content of all the berries, these red favorites are also a great source for Vitamin E & K, as well as potassium.
How to eat: Add to smoothies or pair with chicken and brie for a light summer main dish.
Water Content: 91%
- Tomatoes – Helping protect against heart disease and cancer with its lycopene antioxidant, tomatoes are also rich in fiber.
How to eat: Enjoy in soup, on sandwiches, or even sliced with a little bit of salt and pepper.
Water Content: 94%
- Celery– At 16 calories per cup, this super hydration green can help with weight loss as the water content helps in keeping you feeling full.
How to eat: Perfect for a side dish or snack.
Water Content: 95%
- Green Peppers – This perfect late night snack can help curb cravings, and is high in antioxidants and water content.
How to eat: Chop up and add to a salad for a sweet and crunchy addition.
Water Content: 93.9%
- Cantaloupe – Boost your immune health and fight against infection with the rich Vitamin A provided by cantaloupe. It also offers 2 grams of fiber with every cup.
How to eat: Eat as a side or add to your breakfast or smoothie.
Water Content: 90%
- Zucchini – 1 cup of this green contains 35% of your daily Vitamin C and is low in calories.
How to eat: Make zucchini spiral noodles versus spaghetti noodles for a light and nutritious meal.
Water Content: 94%
- Coconut Water- Rich in electrolytes, this Gatorade alternative is super healthy for hydration, low in sugar, and perfect for an after workout recovery drink.
How to drink: Add some flavored sparkling water to add a little fizz.
Water content: 95%
- Cottage Cheese– This is full of nutritious properties, including the B vitamins that are good for brain health, metabolism, and bone health. 1 cup also provides almost 50% of your daily protein needs.
How to eat: Mix with fruit or avocado slices. Also good as a stand-alone or mixed in an omelet or lasagne.
Water Content: 80%
- Cauliflower – Rich in vitamins and phytonutrients that have been shown to help lower cholesterol and fight cancer, cauliflower is packed full of water and health benefits.
How to eat: Make cauliflower mashed potatoes, or add to a salad for a perfect crunch. Cauliflower pizza crust is also taking the world by storm these days.
Water Content: 92.1%
- Cucumber – Fiber in the skin of a cucumber can help to maintain a healthy weight. This vegetable is rich in water and low in calories.
How to eat: Eat by itself or add to salads. Also beneficial as a quick eye rejuvenation. Take 2 slices and cover your eyes for a few minutes to add natural hydration.
Water Content: 95%