Depression is a form of mental illness which affects people of all age groups. In this state, a person might experience extreme emotional stress and will not be able to enjoy anything for a long period of time. This condition also triggers other symptoms such as being irritable, having no energy and having ineffective sleep cycles. In chronic cases, it can lead to suicidal thoughts. However, the right depression treatment can aid in recovery and allow people to live a full, satisfying, and happier life.
Know More About Common Types of Depression
Depending on the cause and the personality traits of an individual, people can suffer from various types of depression and these are:
- Major Depression: A state where you experience the symptoms of this condition for a period of about 2 weeks, and these symptoms begin to interfere with your day-to-day activities. It is the most common form and can be moderate, severe or mild.
- Atypical Depression: Almost like major depression, in this state you notice additional symptoms like feeling weak, tired, consuming more food than usual, sleeping continuously, putting on too much weight and being hypersensitive to the people around you.
- Seasonal Depression: When you get the symptoms of depression only during summers, autumns or winters, then this can be called as seasonal depression. The symptoms in this condition are usually mild which is having trouble while waking up in the morning, overreacting to situations or feeling tired throughout the day.
What is the Cause of Depression?
There is no one single cause that triggers depression. You can suffer from this condition due to different people or different situations. In fact, several studies reveal that depression runs in various families. This means, genes even have an important role to play if someone requires depression treatment way too often.
Some of the common causes of this condition include:
- No physical activity
- An unhealthy diet filled with saturated fats, sugars, and high carbohydrates
- Traumatic events in life (death, loss of job or poor scores in exams)
- Substance abuse (smoking or too much consumption of alcohol)
- Lack of sleep (not sticking to the golden rule of 8 of hours sleep every night)
What Kind of Depression Treatment Works for People?
In order to analyze which type of depression treatment would be suitable for curing depression, you need to focus on how bad you’re feeling, the various symptoms, the preferences that you have and what your personality traits are.
People who are suffering from this condition can consider three essential forms of depression treatment and these are:
- Psychological Treatments
- Brain Stimulation Treatment
The psychological treatments are basically therapies capable of treating almost any type of depression. This is offered only by qualified and trained psychologists, psychiatrists and GPs. There is a wide range of treatments that turn out to be beneficial in treating depression and these include interpersonal psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, short-term psychodynamic therapy, and problem-solving therapy.
On the other hand, in medication for depression treatment, you are prescribed anti-depressant pills by specialized physicians that reduce the common symptoms of this condition such as poor appetite, lack of energy, sleep disorders, and suicidal thoughts.
Finally, the brain stimulation treatment is where two basic methods are used for handling depression and these are electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (RTMS). Both work best if physiological depression treatment and medication failed to deliver the expected results.
Take your first step towards better mental health with the right treatment for depression, because at the end of the day it’s a healthy mind that leads to a prosperous life.